School has begun. I basically work at 6 different schools; 2 junior high schools and 4 elementary schools. I spend 2 weeks at one junior high and then 2 weeks at the other. I rotate those back and forth. Then I go to a different elementary school on Wednesday. So I basically see 3,000 students once a month. Hope I make a lasting impression. On Sept. 1 I had to speak at opening ceremonies at Iwade Junior High. I introduced myself in English. It went well. Then school was dismissed before lunch. On Friday, Sept. 2, I had one class in the morning and then an earthquake drill in the afternoon. Tomorrow I don't have any classes because the students are taking exams all day. So I will read a book and study Japanese. So far I don't feel like I'm actually working. It's sort of tough, because too much free time is just annoying. I have to basically sit and serve time even if there isn't anything for me to do. I think I'd rather be sort of busy. I have made a few friends in the teacher's room. They like to chat in English and help me with my Japanese. It's fun and it helps the time pass. OK, now I will post some of my first impressions of Japanese schools.1. Kids are the same as in the states. There is a group of rebels, kids that think that they are "too cool for school".
2. Bad behavior isn't immediately dealt with. Students can talk, sleep, and basically ignore the teacher because nothing is done to them.
3. Uniforms are the only thing that you can wear. Students do add colorful undershirts, accessories, and leg warmers to spice up their uniform. Girls must wear skirts. Some are too short for school in my opinion.
4. High school isn't mandatory. Students must apply to high school. They fill out an application and submit scores from entrance exams. 10% of Japanese kids don't attend high school.
5. Teachers don't have rooms. They have one big teacher room with all their desks in it. The students stay in one room and the teachers rotate.
6. Everyone eats school lunch except me. There isn't a cafeteria and students eat in their room.
7. Students pick one activity for their entire junior high time. So if you pick basketball, you play basketball for three years all year. No changing your mind.
8. No yellow school bus. All students either walk or bicycle to school.
I'm sure that I will discover many more interesting things as the weeks go by. I keep you posted. One other thing, everyone has a hard time saying my name. It's too long and there are sounds in it that they don't really use in Japanese. One day I mentioned Mercedes Benz to help then think about how to say it. They also noticed the tattoo. Now a group of "cool" boys just call me Benz. I guess I must get use to it. I've been called it now by passing kids on the street and at the store.
That photo is adorable! Yeah, I'm not down with the lack of discipline in the Japanese classrooms. And that's so funny about your name. My parents still consider those cars as simply "Bentsu" - so you're pretty much doomed with that moniker!
ReplyDeleteWow.... I find the lack of discipline a shocker... I guess I always thought that the Japanese would be very strict... or at least more strict that us... There goes another assumption out the window...
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of the kids staying put and the teachers rotating... how do you like that?
I liked your picture... great shot! Talk to you later Benz...
Actually I have to give props to the Mainichi News for the picture. I didn't take it. I haven't visited an elementary school kids yet. Also the earthquake drill had everyone evacuating the building like a fire drill. I was surprised. Irishman, I do actually like the teachers rotating it makes sense to me. There are a few classes that don't rotate; music, PE, and some science labs. Oh, one other thing there is cleaning time at the end of the day. All of the kids clean their room and the halls before they leave school.
ReplyDelete