Friday, January 06, 2006

Good Intentions


I did have good intentions to blog while I was away on vacation. I now realize a few days before my return to Japan that my good intentions were only a pipe dream. I just have been all wrapped up in this world. Busy packing things here in the loft. Busy seeing friends. Busy watching TV and just lounging around. Let's see.....this trip has been good. I know that I haven't been in Japan that long, but I do feel like I've had a bit of culture shock coming back to the US. Everyone is LOUD! I swear that I sat in Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport with my mouth gaping wide open. I couldn't believe the level of noise. I also couldn't believe how rude people were and that was on Christmas. Speaking of rude, here are a few impolite things I've witnessed.
1. Woman yelling at airport attendant b/c the plane was delayed.
2. Man showing us the bird as we were trying to merge into highway traffic.
3. Woman on her cell phone walking into a store, demanding to use the toilet, and then leaving in a huff b/c the restroom was out of paper towels. She did all of this and still remained on her cell phone.
4. Rich's motorcycle got egged in the middle of the night.
5. Man honking and making an unidentifiable gesture to me while I was driving on the highway.

OK, those are all I can think of at the moment. Crazy! I know people are rude around the world, just surprised to notice so many incidents on such a short trip. There have also been really wonderful people and events, but very shocked by the ugliness. Maybe I just didn't notice it when I lived here.

Last little tidbit, I'm hot. It's 76 degrees here (24.5 Celsius for all of my Nippon friends). I like it, but it's such a contrast to Japan right now. I'll definitely enjoy it the last few days I'm here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    It was great seeing you the other day - I'll keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:54 AM

    It was great seeing you Mercedes while you were here. Too bad we didn't hook up on Saturday but I figured you and Rich were spending some quality time together before you left so I didn't want to intrude.

    Hope you have a safe flight home and I'll talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:58 PM

    Hi Mercedes.

    german

    ReplyDelete