Friday, June 16, 2006

Hiroshima

This is the last blog about Sean's visit. We went to Hiroshima and I would highly recommend that everyone go there. The city itself is very nice and I like the fact that it's not too big or small. They also have a good variety of restaurants and shopping. I truly enjoyed visiting Peace Memorial Park. This is a huge park with the river running through it. The site of the Dome the A-bomb hit still stands, along with many different and beautiful memorials. The museum is amazing and cheap. It was only 350 yen per person and that included an audio guide. It was really interesting and very insightful. They really promote peace and the disarmament of nuclear weapons around the world. I felt very sad viewing some of the items in the museum. It's amazing how much damage that bomb did. I couldn't believe the devastation. It's simply horrific. What I did find odd, are the the Japanese tourists standing in front of the bombed domb taking photos and smiling! I had no desire to smile in front of a symbol of destruction. I asked one of my JTEs about it. She thought it was strange that Japanese would do that also. Click here to see the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment