
I joined Rich and Sean on the last leg of their whirl wind adventure of Japan. We headed to the southwest of Japan; to Hiroshima and Miyajima. Our journey there was nice and relaxing on the shinkansen. From Osaka it takes over 5 hours to get to Hiroshima if you take local trains. However it's a little under two on the shinkansen. It's also a very smooth ride.

Here we are posing in front of the "floating tori" at Miyajima. We were pretty lucky that we arrived before the tide was completely out. About 2 hours after this photo we actually walked out and stood under the tori due to low tide. Miyajima is an island slightly off the coast of Hiroshima. Sean read that no one is allowed to die or be born on Miyajima. Myth; maybe? Not sure how they could enforce those rules, especially since you have to take a ferry to get to the island.

Here we are at the top of the mountain on Miyajima. It rained and drizzled on us all day. We went ahead and hiked to the top anyway even though we couldn't see the view. Unfortunately we missed the monkeys at the top of the mountain. They even knew better than to be out in the crummy weather.

The result of having two cameras now. I'm an unsespecting target for Rich to photograph. Great! Click
here to see the photos; more tori shots, lots of deer, mountain views, and a giant rice paddle.
I've been to Miyajima twice, but I didn't know you could hike to the top of the mountain. Well, the second time, I barely remember since I was with a Japanese tour group and we were herded around like cattle.
ReplyDeleteGood photos. Keep em coming.