I'm such a poser, but pretty good imitation don't you think. These photos were taken at the National Cowboy Museum (forever known to me as the flashy Cowboy Hall of Fame; why they changed the name I have no idea). I think I've visited it at least half a dozen times as a child. We went just to buy omiyage for my friends in Japan. That's my Grandma and Mom on the right.
OK, two group shots for you. First is one of the women in my family; Grandma, me, Mom, Meagan, and Rory (who is throwing a tantrum b/c she didn't want to eat the food). We went to an amazing Mexican restaurant in OKC called Adobe Cafe. If you are ever in OKC, you must go. It is owned and operated by a very generous Maria. When she heard that I live in Japan and that the only real Mexican food I get is made by my husband (using his mother's delish recipes), she offered to write out her own recipes for me. The food is amazing and pretty authentic; definitely not tex-mex. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.
The second photo is of a group of women that I use to teach with in Ft. Worth. I was so happy that I could see them for a few hours. It's been about 3 years since I left Ft. Worth. Pictured from L to R; Sally, Jamie, Me, Becca, Colleen, and Tanya. They were great friends and it was nice to catch up.

Last photo is of me and my Mom. She's a really amazing person and I think that it took me about 20 years to realize it. When I was young, I thought she was so different from everyone else's mother (and she really is) and I didn't appreciate her uniqueness. Sometimes I wished she was more "stereotypical" and in a sense vanilla (you know plain). Let's see if I can describe her in one good sentence (difficult to do). She's a hippy spirited artist that has expensive tastes, strong opinions, chronic aches, looks like she could be my sister (maybe she really is), food snob loving, talkative, friendly, often hysterical yet loving woman that has a Chuck (the patient and supportive Dr. Cooper). I'm sure I left some stuff out (oh flamanco dancer extraordinare), but I think you get the idea. Anyway..... all those things though that make her unique have in turn spared me from a life of being vanilla myself. I'm glad that she is who she is and I wouldn't change her one bit (except maybe giving her a tad more patience when dealing with an often confused Grandma). So much of her has rubbed off onto me and I'm glad. So Mom, when you read this please know that I love you and thank you for helping me become the person that I am. Because of you I've taken risks in life, I'm open minded, I'm smarter, I'm more well rounded, I'm happy......... and well I'm a better person. I can't wait until we see each other again. Arigato.




No comments:
Post a Comment