Friday, June 01, 2007

Recent News from Japan

There is craziness in the air. In comparison to the US, this news isn't so crazy, but for Japan it's a bit shocking. Recently there have been a slew of murders. Two of the most bizarre include a couple that left their baby in the storage box of a motorbike while they played pachinko and a boy that decapitated his mother, went to an Internet cafe for a few hours with the head in a bag, and then took the head to the police station. These events and a few more happened in the span of one week. People are concerned and here's an article about it. I'm not sure if I've become desensitized by living here, but I was shocked by the news.

Locally we've had a bit of a similar scare this week. A student at one of my schools posted a letter on the city comments and questions web page stating that she was going to kill her mother b/c she's being abused. The letter wasn't signed and soon there was a search of the schools for the student based upon clues in the letter. Supposedly she was found, but I can't get any info about what has happened since. It's interesting that the student posted such a letter; maybe a cry for help??? I feel that there aren't any outlets for kids to discuss issues and get help here. It seems to me that if kids have problems that go against the norm here, they have no where to turn. I know Japan has resources, but there's a fear of being an outcast for being different and kids don't utilize or know how to obtain help. Kids bottle up their feelings and we are seeing many of them pop. I realize this behavior happens everywhere, but again I foresee it becoming a sad epidemic here. It's hard to be different here. I'm different. I get stared at, pointed at, mouth gaping open, etc, but I have my confidence in place and realize that I'm outside their culture. Being Japanese and being different is probably a hard thing to cope with. This is still very much the kamikaze culture; saving face and honor. Having problems and seeking help could possibly affect your dignity. It's sad but hopefully with each new situation that happens, maybe the community will change and become more accepting.

Last but not least, good news from Japan..... Miss Japan was crowned Miss Universe 2007. Congrats! It's all over the news here and they are even running commercials of congratulations. Maybe she could put child counseling and community support on her "how I want to change the world" platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment