Friday, June 22, 2007

When Criminals Don't Attack Schools

There was an incident this week that is the current talk of Iwade; someones house got robbed on Wednesday. Let me start from the beginning. Wednesday I was visiting an elementary school for the last time. Usually after lunch it's cleaning time, recess, and then my last class. I happened to come in early from recess and low and behold there was a serious teacher's meeting taking place. After the meeting I was informed that last period was being cut short b/c someones house in the neighborhood was robbed and the criminal had not been caught. All of the teachers were going to escort the students home. HUH??? What does a robbery have to do with school??? So I asked does the man have a weapon, is he threatening to come to the school, or has he been spotted on the school grounds? All questions were answered with a no. I'm thinking OK, so why send students home early, what's the big deal. As I said my goodbyes (to a school now struck with panic and mayhem) and hopped on my bike, everyone wished me well and to be careful and to hurry home. I'm wondering do robbers in Japan stick around the scene of the crime, attack children at schools, and plow down foreigners on bicycles ...... what kind of sicko criminals are in this country. I continued to bike casually away from the school on a very gorgeous sunny day contemplating if at any moment a robber would leap from the bushes and knock me off my bike and how I would defend myself (NOT). Befuddled I asked a coworker about the incident the next day. She informed me that the board of education told the elementary school to send the students home. I asked her what a robbery had to do with school, what was I missing. She said Iwade is a peaceful city and young children are innocent. OK???? and what a robber is also a child molester, rapist, and murderer??? Now I'm not defending robbers, but come on ....... don't think a school should shut down (at 2:15 PM) for an unarmed robber that robbed a house in the neighborhood at 9:30 AM (come to find out) on Wednesday morning. I get that criminals are bad and can do multiple types of crimes, but there was no indication of anything beyond a robbery. I don't get it, maybe I'm too American.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:36 AM

    i heard the robber killed someone in another place and he got robbery on the way to run away.

    yasuhide

    ReplyDelete