
Top 5 things I will MISS about Japan.
5. Being gawked at like a celebrity. I've even been photographed (sometimes by pervie old men; not good) and been asked for autographs.
4. Polite greetings from everyone. Even people in the worst jobs will yell out a cheerful greeting to you; gas station workers, convenient store employees, road construction workers in the rain, etc. That doesn't happen in the states. Usually convenient store workers won't even make eye contact.
3. The ability to tune out conversations, especially b/c I can't understand a lot of it. Many times Japanese conversation is like TV static to me. Probably a good thing b/c if I could understand everything, I'd probably have more stress in my life. Ignorance is sometimes bliss and definitely less stressful.
2. Reading and knitting at work. Who am I kidding! When will I ever get paid again for doing things I enjoy while being on the job.
1. Friends, friends, friends, and potluck. I've been fortunate to have made so many friends, both gaijin and Japanese. Hosting monthly potlucks where all cultures could relax, eat, and converse was wonderful. I will miss that. Saying goodbye is the saddest thing about leaving Japan.
Top 5 things I WON'T MISS about Japan.
5. Bicycling in the rain while holding an umbrella. The rainy season SUCKS (excuse my language). I did however master the ability to cycle and stay dry. Unfortunately I had a lot of practice.
4. Being gawked at like an alien. You'd think I was from Mars! Yes, I know this is similar to #5 on the other list. Sometimes the gawking was OK, especially from children who are just curious. Other times it was just annoying, especially from adults that should know that excessive gawking with your mouth gaping open is rude.
3. Asking Japanese friends and coworkers to help deal with personal matters; ie, the doctor, the cable company, my bank account, etc. I may be 32 years old, however there have been many times that I felt more like a 10 year old child.
2. WHY???? The Japanese people fail to question things. "Why" is a rarely used word. I don't get it. In America we are raised to question everything, here they just accept what they are told. It's a bit annoying, especially when I question Japanese things and they can't explain reasons to me.
1. The lack of diversity in food, fashion, and people. I like variety and Japan is a monotone country. Everyone looks alike and dresses alike. Finding a variety of food conveniently is difficult, especially in the inaka. Try getting a coffee to go in Iwade; it doesn't happen.
Hey Mercedes
ReplyDeleteAlthough our contact has been seldom, I wish you all the best with your return back to the States.
My memory of you will always be that night out in Osaka when Rich first arrived.
Enjoy your remaining time here in Wakayama and send my best wishes to Rich.
japanese always do same,food,fashi
ReplyDeleteon,life style.it's a kind of psychological assimilation.maybe it is based on laziness.anyway,i had really good time in potluck!i appreciate you.
yasuhide
Hey, all the best Mercedes, hope things work out for you in Rich in Dallas. The place sounds terribly glamorous to us Brits, conjuring up as it does images of enormous cars and JR Ewing - well, it does to me, anyway.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if over the next year you'll come to see your time in Japan from the other side of the world as I have; as a series of almost dreamlike recollections you sometimes can't believe ever happened to you. Anyhow, take care and good luck!
Great post!
ReplyDelete