Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sushi and the Buffalo Corral

While in OKC, I had many lunch dates with my grandmother. She really likes lunch and always wants to eat out. One day we went to Tokyo Sushi; named the best place for sushi in OKC by my family. I must admit it was pretty fresh. My grandmother was a bit shocked though by what I would eat (which was almost everything). You see, when I was a child, I hated sushi. I hated the smell of the fish at the sushi restaurants. You couldn't bribe me to eat fish or even nori for that matter. Once when I was little, we went to a sushi bar in Dallas (this was before sushi was mainstream and OKC didn't have a sushi shop). I remember the sushi being placed in front of me. I scooped up what I thought was some sort of green mint glob and put the entire thing in my mouth. Of course to my dismay, it was wasabi. I was very picky back then and very ignorant of the what the green glob was used for. The green glob created a horrible memory for me and I swore never to touch a sushi plate again. Fortunately I grew up and my tastes matured; I first ate sushi in 2003. So this was the first time that my grandmother and I ate sushi together. It was a good meal and I must admit that it's nice to have sushi rolls again. In Japan, you typically eat sashimi (fish and rice only). I like how rolls add a variety of veggies and flavors to accent the fish. It's more fusion I guess. Oh and they had some delish mochi ice cream. I love it!


Another amusing thing I wanted to share with you is the Buffalo Corral. The downtown area of OKC is blossoming, they call it Bricktown. They are trying to make it similar to "the river walk" in San Antonio. They've put in canals with boats. Restaurants and bars line the canal. There is a new movie theater and of course the new ballpark for the OKC minor league team is now down in that area. They are also building trendy lofts in the vacant warehouses. Anyway on the edge of this trendy tourist spot is the Buffalo Corral. They've got about a dozen life size buffalo statues in a pen. All of them have been painted. It's kind of funny, so I snapped a few photos.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:14 PM

    Mmm...mochi ice cream! I was the same way- I didn't eat any kind of sashimi growing up. In Hawaii. Being half Japanese. My family didn't know what to do with me. ;) Thankfully, I love it now and you can believe I eat as much as I can when I'm back home!

    ReplyDelete