Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Update: One Week

So I've officially been in the states for one full week. What have I accomplished???? OK, we have a car (really Rich accomplished this, NOT ME). We bought a beautiful silver 2004 Volkswagen Passat Tdi. We buy diesel, it's about the same as regular however our gas mileage is unbelievable (I think 45 miles per gallon). Also we can put in biodiesel, which is pretty cool and makes the environment a bit happier. Ummm, I've managed to get over jet lag, however due to some sort of sinus infection I still sleep a lot. We may have found a place in Dallas. That's a really good thing, b/c it's so hard to live out of a suitcase. It rather sucks! I can't find anything. The place is pretty cool. I will update you more when it's a definite. I sent off for my Japanese pension refund. That was top priority since I should get a nice chunk of money back.

Let's see, what else has happened???? Oh, I've been accused of speaking like a Brit. I know what Brits sound like and I'm not one of them. I think that I now pronounce my words really well and emphasize my sentences (especially questions) and that confuses the Texans (I need more twang). I was told that I was a hippy b/c we went to a country western bar for a very very very distant relatives b-day and I wasn't dressed in denim and all countried out. Hey, I will take hippy over country gal any day. Rich's mom improved some and actually got out of the hospital. It looks good, but still not near 100% yet. Saw the movie, No Reservations. Cute, but was it worth the $7 matinee admission??? I tend to think "going to the movies" is reserved for amazing movies. No Reservations was sweet and good, but not AMAZING. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the size of food here. It's out of control! The photo (camera phone) of the nachos is an example. This place refused to do half orders. I just couldn't believe the size of the order. I've been doing really well though and not gorging myself on anything and everything b/c it's available. It has been nice to walk into a grocery store and be able to find a variety of food. It's almost overwhelming, but I'm adjusting. I've probably been watching a tad bit too much TV. Trying to minimize it, but there is just so much new stuff and I get mesmerized by the big screen. I also got in touch with old friends. Hopefully old friends will become new friends again.

Ummm, things I need to do???? Get a job. I'm giving myself a bit of time on this one. I'm going to visit my mom next week and really there isn't any point of finding a job now since I'm going out of town. I'll get a job after next week. Send postcards to people in Japan. I really need to do that. So many people were so sweet to me and gave me such great gifts. I need to send a shout out to them and let them know I appreciate it. I need to start running again. I did run one morning, but since I've felt a bit blah, getting up early to run hasn't sounded so good.

OK, that is enough for now. Thanks for reading my rambling thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:34 PM

    Editors note we bought a 2004 Jetta TDI

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I really didn't accomplish buying the car. I can't even tell you what we bought. Thanks Rich for the correction. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:18 PM

    I miss Rich's nachos.Be careful being fat in Texas.

    yasuhide

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:25 PM

    "I've been accused of speaking like a Brit" -- YOSH! i hope i:m at least partly to blame.. there is a big Richedes-shaped hole in my life now- hurry up and get that job so we can plan mutual visits and i can continue my mission of linguistic corruption ok
    ronri Rara

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELCOME HOME!!! I know EXACTLY what you're going through...cuz I STILL feel the same way. Everything on TV is just so "catchy" and addicting.... you just wanna watch everything.

    Miss ya girl!! Have fun in Oklahoma :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:53 AM

    So you guys are in Texas now?

    We couldn't find either of your e-mails, but drop us a note if you'd like to reconnect! We live in Lewisville.

    lactatethreshold@yahoo.com

    -OB

    ReplyDelete