Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day!

Today was simply amazing! I can't believe that I am alive at such an amazing time in history. Obama is the man! I admit that I cried a few times. His speech was inspirational. I'm hopeful that we will have real change now.

So here is a Beckley update. We spent the entire weekend sanding, Saturday thru Monday. We are still very sore. In fact today we were suppose to run 3 miles, however we decided to rest since we did not rest at all this weekend. Unfortunately, the sanding is not complete. We have one more day of detailed sanding. Our friend Jody, master floor sander, is going to stop by to finish the job for us. Also paint is on the wall! Paint isn't finished yet, however it is exciting to see color. Here are some photos.
The photo on the left is the master bedroom. I know ...... what a bold color. We wanted a strong color and this room has two big windows to balance out the dark blue. We really love it. The photo on the right is of the 2nd bedroom. We picked a gray, however as you can see, it looks baby blue. This really wasn't what we intended and no we are not expecting a child. Honest! You can kind of see in both photos, the sanded floors. They are solid red oak and they really are beautiful.

Here are a few more photos. See the dark spots in the floor. That's the finish that we are trying to sand off. Since we used reclaimed hardwood from another old home, it was uneven. Think about it, the floor was stained and finished in it's original home. It was then ripped out and bundled. We then unbundled it and relaid it, not in the order that it was pulled up. So when it was relaid, it was uneven. We could be laying a piece from their bedroom, next to a piece from their living room, all in our kitchen. So the stain and sealer isn't even and we need to sand it off, so that we can make the floor even before we re-stain and seal it. I know, seems like a lot of work, but we still are paying less than buying the inexpensive engineered (not real wood) wood floors. Also the solid red oak is beautiful. They fit the house. Our original wood floor is also oak. We just didn't have a subfloor, so our oak floor was a bit airy and weak in spots.

A few more photos. Rich is working the very heavy sander. I swear it's a lower back breaker. You also can see the kitchen cabinet color. It's noticeable also in the photos above. They still need to get an antique finish applied to them. Also you can see the main house color in the above photos. It's greige (a mix between gray and beige, I guess). So we are thinking of doing the floors in a cinnamon stain color. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mercedes,

    Congrats on your sanding prowess and you new-found love of bangs. You are, indeed, very white. Almost as white as me. Glad you guys got your internet back up so I can get my regular dose of the Mercedes-Rich saga.

    As for me I finally left Japan and am making my way through Asia. I see I am not prominently featured in your "Blogs I Like" section. I suppose you were biding your time until you could make a singular "Blogs I LOVE" section for yours truly, but until then I insist that you feed me to your masses.

    Much love from Shanghai
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete