Monday, August 08, 2005

Wakayama City Festival

Thanks for all of the positive comments! I really appreciate it, especially on the days that I'm feeling a little low. Things are good, however there are times when I feel like I am in an "English bubble" and isolated from everyone else even while I'm out in public. I think that I took for granted the ability to speak to anyone including strangers in the US. Now I can barely muster a few words to sales people. My communication consists of gestures and a lot of smiling. I do say "Sumimasen" (excuse me) and "Gomen" (I'm sorry) a lot. Oh, also "Arigato" (thanks). I plan on taking an intensive Japanes class next week. Hopefully it will build up my confidence in trying to communicate.

So this past Saturday I attended another festival with Sarah. It was in Wakayama City. It was very different from the last festival. This one didn't have any floats, but people danced up and down the street to the same looping song the entire time. It appeared that the parade participants were different businesses, so it seemed a little too commercial for my taste. I was hoping for a traditional parade. It was still lots of fun though. Click here for photos. I do have captions on the photos this time, so maybe it will explain things better. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM

    It'll come to you, don't you worry. Just remember you're kindness is communicated in any language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Hang in there girl! You'll get it...soon enough you will be able to talk to anyone there. I'm glad to see that you are having so much fun!
    - Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:24 PM

    I've been gone a while Mercedes so I'll just summarize everything here for ease in posting...

    First - You look great... and also very happy. I'm glad to see you're getting out and really exploring, it sounds like you're making the best of what time you have.

    Second - Get on it with the pics of your place and town... very interested in seeing what the home town looks like.

    Third - Don't know what's up with the crazy posts in some of your blogs... but I would add that there are FAR more people here who love you than not so don't let them get to you.

    Lastly - Looks like I'm in some work situation where I won't be free to take vacation until the end of the year or beginning of next... howz about early next year for my visit? I'll talk to you more via e-mail...

    I hope you're doing well with your Japanese class... what a difficult language to learn... You'll get it and I agree with Kanj... Kindness and respect comes across regardless of any language barriers... You'll be fine.

    Love ya and talk to you soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:59 PM

    Ditto what everyone else has said so far. I have no doubt that you will be fluent in no time! You adapt well to new situations and are super capable, not to mention super friendly. I'm sure the language will come to you soon enough and people will help you along the way. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete