Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mexican Samba; Japanese style????

So today I went to Chou Elementary School for the first time. I didn't go last month b/c we had the typhoon warning and school was cancelled. Classes went well and the kids are so kawaii, the usual. In the afternoon though, I was asked to attend a combinded 4th grade class. The students were practicing for some sports thing and they incorporated an English number lesson into the practice. They wanted me to help with the counting aspect. So I show up in the gym and before the counting begins the teachers turn on the "samba" music. There were over 100 4th graders in the gym with shiny metallic pom poms in their hands. They start doing a choreographed dance to what sounds like the "Copa Cabana" song, but in Japanese. I start to giggle, b/c it's so damn cute and funny. The teachers are so proud b/c they created the routine and the kids are doing a great job. Fortunately I took my phone into the gym and was able to catch a few images. I wish I had my digital though, but I just didn't want to bring it to school today especially b/c it was so rainy. After their performance, I applauded loudly and the teachers kept asking me if I knew the samba. They even showed me a hysterical video with some Japanese guy dressed in a glittery kimono doing samba moves. I should own that video!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:12 PM

    That is hilarious good thinking with the phonecam. I am glad the Japanese are emabracing my culture. I love you thirteen days and OH by the way I am first to post. Correction Samba is A Brazilian ballroom dance of African origin. Music in duple meter for performing this dance.
    Maybe I will bring a sombrero for a Hat Dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:53 PM

    oh Richard... this is becoming a disturbing trend... You CANNOT be absent from this blog for MONTHS and then swoop in and take over! :o)

    I think the hat would be a good idea... bring a sarape and a bottle of tequila too.. then we can really show them about your culture!

    What a funny experience Mercedes, I have a feeling we are going to have a really cool time there, just exploring the culture differences if nothign else.

    See you in less than two weeks!

    ReplyDelete