
Thought I should blog about the most popular holiday in the west and how it's dealt with in the east. Christmas here is very interesting. It seems that Christmas is definitely a commercial holiday for the Japanese and has no religious undertones at all. Not really surprising since that is what it's like now in the west too for many people. Some stores decorate and play Christmas carols. I get to hear carols and sing everytime I buy my groceries. It's nice. I sort of like that it's not Christmas overload here. I don't get it shoved in my face in every store and on the TV. It's more subtle. In fact, it really isn't a holiday. The 23rd is the Emperor's B-day and it's a holiday. However it's a normal working day for most everyone. Christmas is also considered a holiday for lovers. I saw an ad for Universal Studios; Osaka that said, "Romantic Christmas". It made me laugh. Nothing about Christmas ever reminded me of romance. Many kids know about Santa and some of the traditions. It's funny, the Japanese have begun making their own Christmas traditions. Pictured above is Christmas cake. They are cakes with strawberries. All cake shops and stores sell them. The teachers and students at school were surprised when I told them that we don't have Christmas cake in America. We have dessert, but not a cake like this (at least not at my house; maybe I've been missing out on Christmas cake for the past 31 years). They were shocked. It's something they created. I'll keep my eye out for other interesting Christmas tidbits and keep you posted.
That's really funny. Maybe there was an over-abundance of strawberries one year, and they decided to use them for "the Traditional Western Christmas Cake" to unload all the extras on the people. Maybe it stuck after that.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I found your site through my sister-in-law's (Disentangled over at A Little Loopy). I'm enjoying the cultural tidbits.
Those cakes look delightful! We didn't have Christmas cakes in New Mexico either. Cow Patty's...but no Christmas cakes. :) Question - did you keep up with your running? I haven't seen any mention about that.
ReplyDeleteSo, the signs say "shortcake". Is it because the cakes aren't tall or is is really because they are shortcakes?? Do they know what a shortcake is? Do most of know what it is for that matter?
ReplyDeleteChristmas Cake - yum- maybe we need to stat that tradition over here! :)
ReplyDeleteI want some of that!
ReplyDeleteThe origin of Cristmas cakes in japan is the advertisement of cake shop.Strawberry express santa's color in Japan.Japanese deals in strawberry at a high price in Cristmas time.There is funny ice cream in Japan.It is "Cristmas ice cake".It seems like a Cristmas cake but it is made from ice cream.
ReplyDelete