Saturday, December 24, 2005

Enkai & Yuko - A Quick Summary


I attended the end of the year enkai (party) for one of my junior high schools on Thursday. Pictured is a sashimi platter from the party. The food was good; in addition to the sashimi there was sushi rolls, nabe, and fried squid and octopus. My beer glass never really ran empty. I did expect the party to go all night, so I was surprised when I was home by 8:45. Enkai highlights included; kyoto-sensai commanding me to visit him so that he can teach me Wakayama-ben. The man never speaks or smiles at me at school. However a drunk kyoto-sensai is very friendly. The judo coach, who we've dubbed "Mr. Popular" informed me that I looked beautiful and different then I do at school (wink, wink, wink). I informed him that I looked different because he had on his beer goggles. He's really cool though and actually in the 80's was the 3rd best judo player in all of Japan. He was in the running for the LA Olympics. Pretty cool.
Yesterday I got to visit Yuko and Marc. They arrived in Japan on Friday to visit Yuko's family. Since I leave today, we only had a few hours on Saturday to visit. I met them in Osaka for dinner. It was so good to see them; a familiar face from back home. It's sort of strange to see people from home here in Japan. I think because it's a first for me; I don't associate my old life with this environment. It took me awhile to realize that I was seeing them here in this country and how cool it is. I had a wonderful time with them and only wished that we could've spent longer together. I consider Yuko a really good friend and I know that we will keep in touch.

This picture was taken after we had stuffed our faces. I was so full. Sitting next to me is Chikage. She is Yuko's friend from Kobe. Her english is amazing and now I have a contact next time I go to Kobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment