
My friend, David in Koyasan, coined the title of this entry. He sent me this picture that he took with his phone. Basically the monks journeyed from the cemetery in Koyasan to the main teaching precint. They stopped and bowed at every temple along the way. For those that have been to Koyasan, you know that's a lot of temples. He said that it was minus 5 degrees (Celsius). Personally, I liked this image and found it funny that he called it a clog footed snow marathon. They do wear clogs and at minus 5, I'm sure they were jogging a little.
Well the picture accurately indicates that it's cold here. I'm a little under 2 hours from Koyasan. We haven't had snow like that, but last Saturday we did have some big flakes. Yuki ga furimashita. I haven't seen such big snowflakes in a really long time. The ground was too warm though for anything to stick.
So the holidays are upon us. My friends, Hannah and Sarah have already left Japan. Hannah went back to the UK and Sarah went to Thailand. Pretty exciting! Could enjoy the Thai heat right now. I head out on Sunday (4 days). I should be pretty busy though, so hopefully the time will pass quickly. Tomorrow I have my first enkai (party). Should be fun and I'm preparing to try not to get drunk. Lots of mizu! The Japanese like to keep your drinks full, so it could be dangerous. Then I'll pack on Friday. Yuko will be in town also. I will meet up with her on Saturday. Then boom....it's Sunday and I'm out of here. I'll try to update you again before I go. Oh, I will be taking my computer, so blogging will occur while I'm in the US. Until next time......
the monks go marching one by one watashiwa the monks go marching to by two watashiwa
ReplyDeleteMercedes,
ReplyDeleteTHis is Jeff Houser in Kudoyama.You gonna come to Stu's on Sat? IT would be great ALT bonding time.
Well,hope you are well and holding on to your sanity during this time of year.