Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Chimpo Uwagi

So I decided to look at the condoms in the pharmacy today. I had a little difficulty finding them because they are boxed very differently here. They are in decorative boxes. At first I thought the boxes were for tissues because they were colorful and had non-sex related pictures on them. One was even a United Colors of Benneton box. Not until I turned the box over and saw the condom picture did I realize what I was holding. Pictured above is a funny box with a little engrish on it. Click on the photo to get a larger image.
This one really cracked me up, Super Big Boy. The picture is of a horse's face! I guess they are implying that these condoms are for a horse sized chimpo. I showed this photo to a Japanese man and he told me that this was the brand that he used. I just laughed.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    So, is that an uma uwagi? A horse coat?
    They would say "hosu cotu". Close enough to be "housecoat". You could start your own line of condoms and call them housecoat condoms. Imagine creative packaging opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey coffee and wine,

    Thanks for the comment. How interesting that you are hosting a student from my local high school. That is a great opportunity that you are providing plus you are probably learning so much about the Japanese culture. Gifts....t-shirts are good. Also they enjoy food; chocolate, cookies, authentic "Washington State" food. Japanese are big on gifts, especially things that you can only get from that location. So anything that they can wear and/or eat that would represent Washington would be nice. Also see what your host student might like. She can be very helpful about what her family might like.

    ReplyDelete