Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Hanami

Hanami means flower viewing. For about a 2-3 week period in the spring the sakura "cherry trees" bloom. Everyone goes to hanami parties. Many parks take on a sort of festival theme; lights, food stalls, decorations, etc. Parties are kind of like picnics however many people get very drunk. Some of my friends got together for a hanami party at Wakayama Castle. It was pretty overcast that day, but I think I got some good photos.
Pictured above is Callum and Sean playing some tunes. I like this photo because you can see the castle behind them in the background. In addition to music, we played football, frisbee, and (a tipsy) Jared entertained us and the other park guests with his portable keyboard.
Rich eating yakitori under the hanami. He loves that chicken!
This kid was hysterical. The best thing his mom did that day was bring him to sit near us. He was absorbed with the group of gaijin and his family didn't have to play with him. He spent hours performing martial arts moves in front of our area. He'd ramble on and on to himself also. I think he was imitating Dragonball. There are a few more funny photos of him in the album.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Hi Mercedes,

    My name is Wendy and I grew up with Richard and recently got in touch with him thru the extremely addicting "myspace". Anyway, I wanted to say "Congratulations"! Richard is a great guy and I wish y'all all the happiness in the World.

    Can't wait til y'all get back to the Texas and I have the opportunity to meet you.

    Until then be safe and enjoy your time in Japan.

    お祝い

    神は賛美する

    ReplyDelete