Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Momoyama Marathon

First I need to thank Dan for the photos, "Thank you Dan". This past weekend we ran the Momoyama Marathon. For some reason all races in Japan are called marathons, even though they really aren't. This "marathon" was a 14 KM race. Momoyama is a neighboring town. Momo means peach and yama means mountain. This town has tons of peach trees (currently blooming and pictured above). It also has one hell of a mountain which was basically the race course. Not very good on the knees. Pictured above are the other gals that ran the race: Erin as the rabbit, Gemma as the cat, and me as......well me. This photo was taken pre-race; notice the big smiles. Also a big thank you to Gemma for getting us all to sign up for the race.
This was the first race that I've ran in Japan. I really have been lazy and didn't properly train for it. There was about 300 people in the race. I was amazed to see a couple of blind runners being led through the race. I can't imagine running so far being dependent on someone to take you through the course and then never seeing the scenery. If it wasn't for the scenery, I don't think I could run.
Rich nearing the finish. He ran the race in 1:05 and I ran it in 1:28. Not too shabby. I was pleased. Unfortunately this is the last race of the season. I found out that the "marathons" are held early in the year because it's too hot to run in the summer. Well I honestly thought that it was too cold to run in the winter. I guess next year I will need to toughen up.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 AM

    Nice work! Good to see that your out and about in the motherland. Sounds like things are still as good as ever over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:08 PM

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete