
Last night as I was drifting off to la-la land (or as the Japanese say "ra-ra rand"), the entire building began to shake. I sat up and screamed for Rich. He had already began his short spring through our apartment to join me on our futon. Wine was spelt and a mess was made in the efforts for us to be together for the longest earthquake I have yet to experience. I don't think either of us slept very well in fear of the after shocks and another good shake. It was only a 4.5 on the Richter scale, however it was extremely close. The epicenter was approximately 10 miles away and the depth was only about 4 miles deep. Nothing fell or was broken, however the rumble and shaking is haunting and just a very unwelcome sensation. Click
here for data.

Rumor has it that Wakayama is due for a big one. Everyone says it. In fact when I discussed the quake today with coworkers, I was informed that Negoro Fault runs just north of my town. Lovely, they didn't include that in the brochure. Maybe I should prepare that "earthquake survival pack" that everyone keeps talking about.
Yikes! Glad to hear you're okay! And how's your toe doing now?
ReplyDeleteI felt it too!! Woke me up and scared the crap out of me everything was shaking so much. Definately worst one so far!
ReplyDeleteYep, experienced several jishin myself and I still find them utterly terrifying. But why do they only ever seem to hit during the early hours of the morning round here? That's what I want to know..
ReplyDeleteThe first time we had an earthquake in Fairbanks, I thought that Meagan was running through the apartment and making it shake.
ReplyDeletehaha! Brady and I were in a 6.5 in Costa Rica. We were sleeping in this wood hut, I woke up and was like "Brady there is an earthquake!" Hehe, he told me it was just the wind and to go back to sleep! It was all over the news the next day!
ReplyDelete