Sunday, July 16, 2006

Rage vs. the Koto

Recently I attended a concert in Kokawa. My friend Hannah has been learning how to play the koto. It's a really amazing instrument that is a little bit like a harp, but it's seated horizontally. It has been really interesting to hear about her progress. Her koto teacher speaks very little english and I'm just amazed at how they were able to overcome language and succeed. Bravo! Anyway the concert was mostly traditional style of Japanese music with traditional instruments. However I believe the addition of Hannah to the koto group, inspired the group to try and make it more of international concert. So Sean and Callum were asked to come and perform some songs. (That's Hannah above playing the flute with her koto teacher playing the koto). Pictured is Sean playing the drum and Callum playing the guitar. The boys decided to play an original work by Callum, Radiohead, and then Rage Against the Machine. The Rage was quite a contrast to the delicate pieces performed by the koto group. I must admit though, I found the performance to be fun, unique, and definitely a cultural exchange in music. Sean ended the Rage song by screaming, F*** you, Mother F***er! You must read the recap here on Callum's blog, I can't do the story justice. It was amusing!
Pictured here is Hannah and her teacher. It was an impressive performance. Overall I think the concert was great and a huge success. I'm green with envy at everyone's musical ability. I have always wanted to be able to play an instrument, however I never had the drive to study. Great job Hannah, Callum, and Sean!

No comments:

Post a Comment