Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Threes

Don't step on a crack or you'll break your mother's back (maybe that's what is wrong with my Mom). A black cat crossing your path is bad luck. Breaking a mirror will give you seven years of bad luck. Breaking the wishbone or wishing upon the first star you see at night. All superstitions and I don't faithfully subscribe to them. However, you know that one about threes, "Things happen in threes"? Well recently three big life changing things have happened to people that I know and could possibly sway my belief on this one superstition.
1. My grandfather died on January 20. This was very life changing. It is/was sad, but also it was a bit of a relief. He honestly lived a long fulfilling life. It seemed that recently he began having more and more health problems and really his personality is so friendly and gregarious that being sick in bed just seemed wrong for him. I think he knew that his body wouldn't be the same after this last bout and he just decided that it was time. He was tired and that's OK. Side note: I never knew his middle name, however I always knew the initial for it. It was revealed to me that it was Thor (the Norse God of Thunder and also a superhero from Marvel Comics). My grandpa was Delos Thor Sperling; what a name!
2.
Two amazing people that we are friends with recently got married, Kanji and Susan. They got married on January 14. There wedding was actually a surprise to me (I've been in Japan too long). They also decided to elope and put together an intimate sweet ceremony at Torrey Pines on the ocean in San Diego. We are so happy for them. They are perfect for each other and they are truly such kind, funny, and great people. Congrats!
3. The final life changing event happened this past Friday, January 26. Our friends Tori and Issac had their baby. They are JETS here in Wakayama City. They decided early on that they didn't want to know the sex of the baby. So it wasn't until I received the photo and e-mail informing me that they have a baby boy. Welcome to the World Eli!

Now I will admit that when I found out about my grandfather I did have a brief thought about the theory of threes. Then I waved it off. I didn't want to be anxiously waiting for 2 other possibly devastating things to happen. Then with the news of Kanji and Susan and the birth of Eli, the three theory proved itself. These three things are huge and life altering. Also they all happened within 2 weeks of each other. So superstition or coincidence? I'm not sure, but it is an interesting thing to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment