We have survived
Yuki Matsuri 2007. This year Rich and I signed

up for the
HAJET package deal. Honestly I was glad to leave the planning and coordinating to someone else; just had to send them lots of yen though. So we met up with other people from the
Kinki region to fly up to Hokkaido. There ended up being 3 others from
Wakayama in the group; Tony, Kate, and Lilly (oh and Kendall, Lilly's boyfriend from Shikoku, was in our group). We arrived

Friday evening and explored the main snow stages and sculptures. I must admit that the sculptures were a little lacking this year. I think that it's b/c the weather was pretty warm. Daytime temps hovered above freezing. So the details of the sculptures would melt a bit and then refreeze at night. They just didn't look as chiseled as last year. The ice sculptures had an even harder time of maintaining shape.
On Saturday we went to
Nisseko, I swear it is the largest ski mountain

that I've ever seen. I was really impressed with the resort and we were happy to have fresh powder and even light snowfall in the afternoon. This was my first ever attempt at snowboarding. Loved it and was happy that I didn't kill myself. Actually on my last run, I followed Rich down a hill that I never

would have attempted in skis. For some reason the size of the board gave me more confidence; like it would protect me. Train ride home we
buddied up with some of the Hokkaido JETS (especially Captain Hokkaido). We got the scoop on restaurants and places to go party. In the end we called it an early night since everyone was wiped from the mountain.
Sunday began rough. Rich felt ill and we ended up sleeping in late. By the

time we woke it was lunch time; which meant
ramen. We were lured into a
ramen shop by a really funny lady. The place ended up being amazing. We can now both say that we've had the "famous Sapporo
miso ramen". Later in the afternoon we frequented over and over again the ice bars. They were serving hot Bailey's,
Belvedere, and
Hennessey cocktails. It was a nice start before

we met up with everyone for the
enkai at
Kirin Beer Garden. Basically the
enkai was a 100 minute "drink-
athon". We
initially challenged the Hokkaido JETS to a drinking contest and then discovered that our group had quite a few light weights. Needless to say
Wakayama made a name for itself at the
enkai, however some of our group couldn't carry on afterwards (I wasn't one of them though).
Enkai highlights include; guzzling beer, discovering that we don't like mutton, Lilly and the P video, Hokkaido JET fighting, and Tony's make out video. Post
enkai parties continued with getting lost, Rich stumbling into
Pachinko, Rich not remembering most of the post party, Cate being robbed of all her yen, and Tony playing Mario Kart. Don't ask..... you just had to be there. Good Times.
Here's my
album. Trying a new picture host; let me know if you experience any problems with it. Will post Rich's pictures later this week.
Glad to see you made up to Snowporro for Yuki matsuri again!! Did anyone break my record of 'closest call making the early morning flight home'? Cool pictures!
ReplyDeleteMercedes!!!!!! Hello my dear. It's been a while, but it's nice to catch up with you via blog. I know one of the guys in one of your pics...Paul?
ReplyDeleteanyways, if you are back in SD, i will surely make a trip down to kick it!