B*RO**BRO*NCHIT*IS**Bronchitis, hey, hey Bronchitis! For some reason this runs through my head like a football cheer (think I've spent too long inside my apartment). I have bronchitis and excuse me but it sucks. I've felt bad off and on since we returned from our holiday in Thailand. It's like the reoccurring cold. However no matter how healthy I've felt when I'd get into a steamy shower, I'd feel my chest ache. Well finally on Monday I started coughing. By Wednesday it was out of control. So I went to the doctor. Now let me tell you; I have very little faith in the doctors here in Japan (I have an amazing dentist though). For starters, Rich teaches English to a couple of medical students. They study maybe 6 hours a week on their medical classes. In fact they spend more time at NOVA studying English. Also when Rich asked them about dropout and failure rates in medical school, they didn't understand. They said nobody in their school drops out or fails. What?! That means that anyone that applies becomes a doctor. In the states, it's a real challenge to become a doctor. I think that's good; you don't want some half ass lazy person who only studied 6 hours a week making health decisions for you. Oh I don't know, maybe they misunderstood the questions. Anyway I went to the doctor and I've never been less examined. First my temperature was taken; under my armpit by the way. I had a fever, so then I did a nasal swab flu test. The results showed that I didn't have the flu. Then the doctor looked in my throat using a flashlight that I'd take camping with me. It wasn't slim or medical looking in the least. He didn't even use a tongue depressor to hold down my tongue, which I know I tend to stick up and it obstructs the view of my tonsils. Then he listened to my lungs; from the front only. He listened to each one for two breaths. Then he declared that I had B*RO**BRO*NCHIT*IS**Bronchitis, hey, hey Bronchitis! It's a decent guess, but surprised that they didn't do any blood work or throat swabs. He gave me medicine and it's surprisingly only for 3 days. I'm on day 2 of it and I actually feel worse. Woke up this morning feeling like I was drowning in my own nasal fluid. Yuck! Cross your fingers that I'm better tomorrow.
So since I have B*RO**BRO*NCHIT*IS**Bronchitis, hey, hey Bronchitis; I called in sick for the past two days. Missed graduation today. High school isn't mandatory for Japanese students, so at the end of junior high school there is a graduation ceremony. It runs about 2 hours and is usually in the gym. There are a lot of speeches and tons of decorations. It's a pretty celebratory day. Anyway I missed it. The thought of putting on a suit and sitting in the cold gym coughing and listening to speeches I can't understand just didn't appeal to me. Then this weekend is the Iwade Marathon (all races are called marathons). Was going to do just the 5Km since I haven't been running much. Rich signed up for the 15KM. However I guess I will just be cheering Rich on; B*RO**BRO*NCHIT*IS**Bronchitis, hey, hey Bronchitis! At least I get a t-shirt and it is from my city which is kind of cool. I tell you it really is a bummer to be sick, especially in Japan.
In japan,goverment prescrive giving medicine only for 3 days for doctor.the reason why do that is to understand the medicine is proper for ur sick or not.
ReplyDeleteyasuhide
Hey! I've been meaning to write forever and have just sucked at keeping in touch, gomen ne. Sorry you're sick. Don't even get me STARTED on Japanese doctors---who thought my bug bite was a disease from thailand even though I had gotten it BEFORE thailand. Hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure Feb. in Japan doesn't help. But cherry blossom season is on the WAY! Are u staying a third year? --Erin
ReplyDeleteI think I told you about my experience with japanese doctors - and why I have no faith in them as a result. Impressed you found an awesome dentist though - I didn't hear any good stories about them either. Hope you feel better soon babe!
ReplyDelete