Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Whale Meat

In case you hadn't heard or thought it was a myth......well here's proof. Japan does in fact sell and serve whale meat. Supposedly they kill the whales for research purposes and THEN take the meat and sell it. Some schools even eat whale meat for school lunch. My prefecture has a long history in whaling and still continues the practice. Here's a current article about a recent meeting of the International Whaling Commission. Japan refuses to stop whaling even though the other members of the commission are pushing them to. Very controversial!! Was surprised that they put a cute picture of a whale on the can; thought it would be more disguised since it's frowned upon by so many activists. Never tried whale meat and I never will. Personally feel that it's wrong wrong wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:38 PM

    hey babe. I was actually served whale meat for school lunch one day at DaiNi not long before I left Japan! I tried it in the end as it was easier than making a fuss - all the teachers (like the entire staff room) were watching to see my reaction. They initially didn't tell me what it was and then one of the teachers justified eating whale meat by saying how westerners eat venison - because, you know, whales and deer are such similar creatures. Definitely one of those taihen Nippon moments.
    [btw. can't believe you are leaving Japan so soon - it really does not feel like 2 years ago that I picked you up at Kansai airport with Nishiura-san and Kimura sensei!!!]

    ReplyDelete