Friday, June 08, 2007

The end is closer than you think.........

The end is soon (you can see the panic on my face in the photo). It's now officially real. I know my successor's name (Hello Amanda, if you are reading this) and a bit about her. There is now a real person replacing me here in Iwade. It's strange to think about exiting this life and someone new sliding right in. I know it happens all over Japan in August, yet it just seems a bit surreal when it's happening to you. Your apartment will soon be Amanda's apartment, your students.... Amanda's, your coworkers.... Amanda's, your TV.... you get the picture. Now with the end also means that lists are beginning to pile up in my head; thing to do before I leave, the route to take home, how to get all our stuff home, scheduling events, creating a life back in San Diego, etc. It's really happening and in less than 2 months.

So here's one list I'm commiting to internet land; my schedule (weekends only):

This weekend; Kevin has returned. Remember him??? He use to be my neighbor and now he's back. We are eating Punjab (oishikatta Indian food) tonight and then shaking our humps and bumps tomorrow night in Osaka. Sure to be an event.

June 16-17; The south is rising! Possibly having some of the gals from the south venture up this way. They haven't visited my neck of the woods and are itching for a road trip. Also have dinner planned with a Japanese friend the evening of the 17th.

June 23-24; Rich is off work this Saturday. Considering heading south for Ultimate Frisbee practice and maybe some time at the beach. OR a trip to Kyoto since there are two places I'd like to see before we leave.

June 30; Rich's last day of work and also his Sayonara NOVA party.

July 6-8; Tottori San In Beach Party. It should be a blast. Live music all weekend and camping on the beach.

July 14-15; Taj Ultimate Frisbee Tournament, hence the much needed practice on June 24. Camping, sightseeing, and playing frisbee.... sounds like fun.

July 21-22; Nothing, but probably something will happen. My contract is up on July 24.

July 28-29; Kokawa Matsuri baby! One of the best local festivals that I've attended. I enjoy it so much I go back every year. This year I promise not to drink anything that Gemma is drinking. Last year is a blur. My own fault for thinking I could keep up with a Brit!

And that's about it. We are considering a quick 2 day trip to Mt. Fuji on August 1 & 2. For about 15,000 yen we can catch a bus there and back from Osaka, sleep in a hut at the top, and have a couple of meals. Anyone interested let me know. Going to contact the tour company soon. Also we are throwing around ideas for visiting China in August before we head back to Cali. If you are keen, let me know. OK, hope to see some of you wacky Wakayamians before we head out of here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:05 AM

    I can't believe it's almost over!! Thanks for keepin' us posted on your adventures, and look us up once you get back to SD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 PM

    I don't know how else to get in touch with you then to leave a comment....just was thinking about you and wanted to say hi and see that you are looking terrific and that you are coming "home"....get in contact with me!!!!
    xoxo~Kirstie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:52 PM

    oh, khlewis@tx.rr.com is my email address.....love ya!

    ReplyDelete