Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Daily Grind

I'm proud to report that I'm now a contributing member of society and not just a constant financial and emotional drain on my husband. I've got a job. Actually I've spent the past two weeks doing temporary work for a very large law firm in Dallas. I sit for 8 hours a day and answer the phone and transfer calls. Actually it's not so bad, b/c the people are really nice. I spend the day chatting with a very pregnant receptionist (she's having twins). The day goes quickly and it is better than sitting at home. Anywhoo, beginning on Monday I begin a real permanent job. I've just been hired as a legal assistant or paralegal (I'm not sure exactly which) for the 2nd largest immigration firm in the states. I'm pretty excited to have real challenging work (that pays decently), however the last two weeks has been a bit of a rude re-awakening to the reality that I now live in. I have to work here. No more life of luxury like I had in Japan. The stress has kicked in, there are bills to pay, and things to buy. Actually I don't really feel all gung ho to spend money on more material things, yet at the same time, I realize that I can't continue to sit on a sleeping bag and watch the TV that's sitting on the floor. I need to try to at least have a semi-adult western style looking home. I don't think furniture is really optional at this point in my life. So back to the grind, that includes rush hour traffic, ironing presentable trendy work clothes, and working and planning for that vacation that I will eventually get to take (after building up vacation time). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about my job and life. I'm really lucky and thankful for all that I have, however the reality of the situation in the states kind of sucks and I miss my old leisure life in Japan.

Also believe it or not, but Rich is also desperately missing our Japanese lifestyle. I know ........ hard to believe. The Nippon dissing man himself has realized that we had it good there. Work isn't fun and we are already itching to go somewhere new. Advice to my friends back in Nippon: life here in the states can wait and don't be in such a hurry to get back here and join the rest of us and the daily grind of work. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR ABILITY TO LIVE EASILY IN NIPPON. Been there done that and now I'm allowed to dish out the words of wisdom.

Oh and any NOVA people out there; sorry to hear about what's going on. It's horrible that you haven't got paid and I can't imagine trying to figure out what to do next (especially if you don't have any yen). Hope you all find new jobs and make it through OK. Gambatte.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:52 PM

    Congrats on your new job! (Which firm??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, leaving the cushy JET lifestyle is quite the bitch, huh? You only realize in hindsight just how absurdly easy, well paid, and entertaining everything was for us. Can't believe that NOVA stuff! I guess I won't be applying there when I go back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:32 AM

    summer is longing for winter.
    winter wants get back to summer.

    yasuhide

    ReplyDelete