Friday, February 22, 2008
Fear and Trembling
This past month, we cut back on our cable package and signed up for Netflix. I'm a huge supporter of Netflix. For those abroad, Netflix lets you pick your movies on line and then they mail you a DVD. After you watch it you mail it back to them for free and then they send out the next movie on your list. Love it! Blockbuster, the evil movie renting conglomerate, has tried to emulate Netflix, however I believe still fails due to their selection.
Anyway the last movie that we received was Fear and Trembling. For those that have lived and worked in Japan, this movie is a must. It takes an amusing look at the different ideology the Japanese have about working. It's in French and Japanese, so subtitles are a must. It's based on a book by Amelie Nothomb, bearing the same name. I'm not going to tell you anymore, so watch the trailer, it's hysterical. Also check out the movie sight if you have time. Two great big thumbs up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey merc ! chotto/metcha/hazukashii-amount hisashiburi desu yo thanks for the message with the heads up about the film. i actually read the book a couple of times before I came to Japan, frog friends told me about it when I told them I was coming here and cited it as an example to warn me what I was letting myself in for.. you know I vividly remember telling you,Rich and Sarah about it when I first got here even ! in French the title is 'Stupeurs et Tremblements' and 'Fear and Trembling' as a translation is way off-base and put me off reading the English version, so I'd be curious to see how faithful the film is to the book ? It is a brilliant story though and I need to go back to it now, it would have a whole new dimension....
ReplyDeleteanyway glad you finally got to see what it's about. i owe you a long catch-up email, i'll be onto it very soon. miss you a lot, much love to you both as always Rara
It came in the mail.
ReplyDeleteIt's sitting on the table.
No time yet to watch tv.