
This past Sunday I, along with many other JETs attended a Welcome Party hosted by the Wakayama Interpreters Club. The purpose of the party was to introduce us to their club, show us some Japanese entertainment, feed us, and have us talk to people in English. Many JETs turned up for the event and it was good to see the ones that live far away, like Clarence, Elisha, and David. The entertainment was really good also. Pictured above is a close up of a young lady playing the koto. It was the most beautiful music that I've heard. I'm hoping to find a CD to share with everyone. A group of high school girls performed on the koto. Typically the koto is played while wearing a formal kimono and usually you see koto performances at festivals. If you ever get to witness a koto performance, please don't pass it up. You will be impressed.

Sarah, Tawny, and Elisha take their turn playing the taiko drums. Way to go girls!

Kevin, my new neighbor and Happy Global Language School teacher, poses with an interesting beer that we found at Family Mart. It has a great big piece of chicken on it. Omoishiroi?

A taiko drum group performed also. They were very good and very energetic. Overall I had a nice time at the welcome party. I kind of feel like it's my duty to attend events like this. It's good PR for JET and I knew that events like this would be held before I came here. They are sort of "look at the doggy in the window" events with the JETs being the "doggies". I really don't mind. Maybe I will though in 6 months. Food, entertainment, visiting with friends, not too shabby for a Sunday afternoon. Click
here to see the full album.
I love the Japanese music! When I was younger I used to take my Ba-chan's tapes and secretly listen to them. In Alamosa if it ain't country or AC/DC you're listin' to, you get stoned. And I'm not talkin' Bob Marley stoned...
ReplyDeleteThat looks like it was a great time Mercedes... or should I say Benz?
ReplyDeleteHad track last night and thought of you... Several people asked about you and were very happy to hear you're doing well. Last night was the last night of hills and we celebrated with running that big loop.. TWICE! :o)
If you find some of that Koto music, remember where you found it, I love that music and would like to get some while I'm there too.
I had fun learning how to play the koto at UCSD - but I remember my fingers getting tired fairly quickly. Nice beer can - ha!
ReplyDeleteWeird beer can. It even says fried chicken on it. Submit it to Engrish.
ReplyDeleteHi Mercedes! Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for sending the package along to us! It was so nice to hear from you! Hope all is well - it sounds like it is! Stay happy!!! :) Kristi
ReplyDeleteHey, Sedesu-san! I've been catching up with your blog- it's so fun to follow around! Glad you're getting into the schools, finally. Those little kids are so cute! And, I'm sure they love you!
ReplyDelete