Monday, December 19, 2005

Han o yomimashita

I've been reading, alot. I've never had the time to read so much, so I'm definitely taking advantage. I've also realized that I've been reading really good literature. It just so happens that some of these books were in my apartment; the others I've borrowed. Here's a list of interesting books that I've read recently:

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Geisha of Gion by Mineko Iwasaki
Confucius Lives Next Door by T.R. Reid
Ms. Dalloway by Virginia Woolfe
Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
State of Fear by Michael Crichton

Surprisingly one of the books, Tropic of Cancer was banned in America for years. Another, A Clockwork Orange was altered from the author's intended format just for America. The very important last chapter was left out of the American publication. The only reason that I can see that these two books were banned or altered were because they make you think. Sometimes I feel that the powers that be, don't want the general public to think and form opinions. THEY truly want a state of fear and submission.

All of these books have inspired me and provoked me to really think about society. Shockingly after I finished reading Confucius Lives Next Door and A Clockwork Orange I wrote long summaries and responses to the books. I was so inspired and thoughts were running through my mind that I had to write them down. I had to get them out of my head. Now when I read those summaries, I worry a little because I rant on about government and societal tendencies. Not that I'm an expert or anything. I feel that all of these books have helped me realize a lot about human behavior and the world. If you have the time, I highly recommend each and every one of the books listed above. They are all very different and very influential.

5 comments:

  1. I believe you may have answered your own question. You said that you sat and wrote ranting-about-the-government summaries after reading the books. Hmmm. Could be related to the book banning. I mean, imagine if people did this on a mass scale. We'd almost be a thinking public. Scary for the government, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:55 PM

    Woman with brains are so sexy and you have great brains Baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,Ⅰmispelled book. My title should have been Hon and not Han. Sorry for my error. Thanks for the comments Rich and Stitchin Sheep. It would be a lovely idea if the majority of the public stood up and took notice of things. Maybe we would have change and reform. One can only dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:40 AM

    I'll have to check those books out. By the way, I found Japanese christmas cakes (for $19.99) at the local Mitsuwa market, baked by a company called "Italian Tomato."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:14 AM

    ha ha ha, I recognised a few of those books I left in the apartment. Did you pick up on the thing in Tropic of Cancer when he says about how living over in France is so different to living at home that if he ever goes home he'll probably forget all about the life he leads in France. I wrote it down as soon as I read it and have found it prophetic since coming home. I never managed to finish Mrs Dalloway though....

    ReplyDelete