Thursday, February 16, 2006

Capsule Questions Answered

Shannon, a friend from LA, asked me some good questions about the capsules. First of all, let me dispell the myth that staying in Japan is expensive. It is actually very reasonable if you stay in hostels or business hotels. I had never stayed in a hostel, until I moved here. They are really clean and nice. The staff was always extremely helpful because they realize that they get a lot of young travelers. I also think that they are more interesting b/c the hostel owners add some character to the place. For example J Hoppers in Kyoto is decorated with photos and souveniors from travelers and the owners. The hallways are covered with interesting things from around the world. The only thing about a hostel or a capsule is that you can hear others to some degree. Heavy snoring or loud movement in the hallway can be heard. Could be a problem if you are a light sleeper. Some hostels do offer private rooms. We actually stayed in one when we were in Kyoto. It was only a few hundred yen more for a private room. Totally worth it. I've paid anywhere between 2,000 to 3,000 yen (under $30) a night for a hostel. The capsule which included access to a huge onsen, sauna, spa, etc ran 4,000 yen (under $40) a night. For that price you'd end up with a crummy Motel 6 in America. Every place I've stayed is much nicer than a Motel 6. I have found that traveling here is really reasonable. Now if you want to stay in a swanky place, expect to pay through the nose. Very expensive! The same goes for eating out. I eat out here. Just like in America, you find a range of differently priced meals. I've had excellent food for 1,000 yen (under $10). I've also had amazing food for a lot more. Many temples and shrines are free and you can't beat that. Some have small fees to see specific collections, etc. Don't rule out traveling to Japan because of the price. Any budget wise traveler can come here and see amazing things without breaking the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment