Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Seeing Corporal Punishment at School

I must begin by saying that I was in complete shock when I actually saw what I'm about to write below. I am still upset by the reactions of my JTEs to what happened.

OK, I went to one of my junior high schools for a half day of work during summer vacation. Currently students that are in club or on a team are coming to school. One of my JTEs asked me to come and watch the basketball teams play in a game against a school from Wakayama-shi. So I go and I'm happy to see the kids and the school spirit that they have. They cheer for their team mates on the court and fan them on breaks. Anyway I'm sitting next to my JTE and the first and second year girls are playing (around 6th and 7th graders). They are doing really well. The next thing I know our coach is screaming at the girls. It looked like he was upset b/c they missed quite a few baskets in a row, however they were still winning. So he calls a time out. The girls come over and form a semi-circle about 3 feet in front of him. Most of them have their heads bowed. He yells a little then hops up and slaps one girl across the face. I gasped. She stood there and took it. Well about 5 minutes later he does it again (I think it was the same girl also). The JTE next to me says, "Oh you don't have that type of behavior in America, do you?" I say no and explain that behavior like that from a teacher would result in big problems and possibly job suspension. She then explains to me that the coach is a really nice teacher and would never do that during school. She continues, team and club activities are different and he's doing it to help them mentally. I was dumbfounded. Didn't know what to say. Next the boys take the court and a repeat performance insues, however the boy is hit on the head (kind of a downward motion from the top). I could hear the thump. It's unconceivable to me that anyone would warrant a hit for missing a basket or not playing basketball well. What's even more bothersome is that the coach was obviously angry and in that state a hit or slap would probably even more forceful. What's to control him and the strength that he deems warrant to hit a child? This is an after school voluntary sport. I would never allow someone to beat on my child like he was. I was and am shocked and I think even more so by the JTEs need to explain that it was OK.

So I came home and googled corporal punishment in Japanese schools. Here is an interesting article. Coporal punishment was prohibited by law in the 1940's, however it's still being used (obviously). This article gives more information about punishment in schools and homes. Interesting that in a 1998 survey given to children, 80% claim to have been hit by a parent. Wow! That seems really high. Surprised by the articles out there on this topic. There aren't many and they all seem to imply that this society is more accepting of it. Another JTE told me that if a student or parent wanted to report corporal punishment that they could and the teacher involved would face problems. However hardly anyone ever reports it. Sad.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Oh man... that post made me really sad. Regardless of what country you're in, slapping a kid is wrong. I bet this is one of the underlying reasons for so much bullying and teen violence in Japan. Just 'cause it's culturally acceptable, doesn't make it right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:17 AM

    Whoa, crazy! I wouldn't even know what to do. I would be in shock.

    ReplyDelete